LEADERSHIP | UNIVERSAL COMMERCIAL
Darrell Cobbins established Universal Commercial Real Estate, LLC, a licensed commercial real estate firm, in 2007. He serves as President & Principal Broker.
Previously, he served for six years as Vice President at Cushman & Wakefield/Commercial Advisors, LLC, a top-tier Memphis firm, where he worked in commercial real estate brokerage and corporate real estate advisory services, serving many of Memphis’ most notable corporations and institutions. Darrell was also previously in economic development with the Memphis Regional Chamber of Commerce from 1999-2001, where he was Senior Resource Development Officer, and at Guardsmark, Inc, serving as Unit Manager, beginning his professional career immediately after undergraduate studies.
Connect on LinkedIn
Mr. Cobbins possesses a strong background in commercial and corporate real estate, as well as economic development. Combined with his commitment to client service and civic leadership, Darrell makes a tremendous contribution to the company’s professional and community service to small business, corporate, non-profit, and government clients.
- B.A.- Sociology/Anthropology- Rhodes College
- Executive M.B.A.– Fogelman College of Business & Economics, University of Memphis
- CI Intro-Introduction to Commercial Investment Real Estate Analysis, CCIM Institute
- CI 101- Financial Analysis for Commercial Investment Real
- Estate, CCIM Institute
- CI 102- Market Analysis for Commercial Investment Real Estate, CCIM Institute
- CI 103- User Decision Analysis for Commercial Investment Real Estate, CCIM Institute
- CI 104- Investment Analysis for Commercial Investment Real
- Estate, CCIM Institute
- Mid-South Planning & Zoning Institute- Community Revitalization
- Memphis Regional Design Center- Urban Design 101
- SKANSKA: Construction Management Building Blocks
PROFESSIONAL - CIVIC ACCOMPLISHMENTS
Urban Land Institute (ULI), Member
Featured Presenter, Memphis Area Association of Realtors, Commercial Property Forecast Summit
Featured Presenter, ULI Memphis Chapter, Emerging Trends Summit
Selected as one of ten in 2011, 2012, 2013, and 2014 as Commercial Real Estate Broker “Power Players” by Memphis Business Quarterly magazine
Memphis Business Journal’s ‘Top 40 Under 40’- 1998
Leadership Memphis Graduate- 1999
Leadership Development Intensive (LDI), New Memphis Institute, 2007
Lambda Alpha International (honorary society for the advancement of land economics), Member
In partnership with CBRE-Memphis, and on behalf of the City of Memphis Government, led the Feasibility Assessment, Internal Occupancy Analysis, and overall due diligence in the acquisition of the Donnelly J. Hill State Office Building in Downtown Memphis, TN. Process included interview of and presentations to Memphis Mayor, City Council, CAO, and Division Directors.
- Real Estate Advisory Services for 2009 new Memphis Convention Center Feasibility Study by City of Memphis Government
- As a member of the development team, represented Crosstown LLC in the strategic acquisition of more than $5 million worth of real estate covering a 30-block vicinity, including residential, multi-family, and commercial properties for site assemblage for $280 Million redevelopment of 1.3 million sq ft historic building in Midtown Memphis now known as Crosstown Concourse. This approach allowed the owners to obtain significant strategic control of the surrounding area, protecting their investment of capital in the building.
- Represented Durham School Services in the site identification, selection, and ground lease negotiation for its six acre Northeast Terminal site in Memphis, TN. Durham is the nation’s 2nd largest school transportation services company.
- Represented (over the course of two years) the Power Center Community Development Corporation (an affiliated entity of New Direction Christian Church) in the assemblage of 42 acres for the ultimate development of its mixed-use/multi-phase Towne Center project in the Hickory Hill community of Memphis. Advised the leadership on acquisition strategies and interfacing with City of Memphis, Shelby County Government, Shelby County Trustee, City of Memphis Treasurer, and other government-related entities. Also negotiated with Sellers to achieve the most cost effective terms for its client’s acquisition of the targeted parcels.
- Advised the Memphis Urban League in its evaluation of making capital investment in its existing/owned facility vs. leasing new office space for its headquarters. Identified alternative locations in the market, solicited economic proposals from property owners, conducted financial analyses, and negotiated with property owners. Based upon this real-time market-based information MUL’s CEO and Board of Directors, with insight and consultation by Universal, were able to make a fact-based comparison of costs, ultimately arriving at the most cost-efficient decision in alignment with its mission and long term goals.
139,000 square feet – Represented FedEx Supply Chain Services in the lease renewal of industrial warehouse space at Airport Industrial Park
100,000 square feet- Represented FedEx Express in the lease renewal of warehouse space at Democrat Square-North
100,000 square feet- Represented Exide Technologies in the disposition of warehouse/distribution facility in Airport submarket
87,000 square feet- Represented Baker, Donelson, Bearman, Caldwell and Berkowitz, P.C. in the lease renewal of its corporate headquarters in Memphis, TN
70,000 square feet- represented Gestalt Community Schools in the lease of former education space located at Mendenhal Square Shopping Center for the establishment of its middle school in the Hickory Hill Community.
65,000 square feet- Represented Memphis Academy of Health Sciences in the acquisition of facilities for the relocation of its school and campus in Memphis, TN
64,000 square feet – Represented Bryce Corporation in the lease of industrial warehouse space at Airport Industrial Park
45,000 square feet – Represented ThyssenKrupp Elevator Corporation in the relocation of business unit from Horn Lake, Mississippi to office space at EastPointe Business Park
36,000 square feet- Represented Self-Tucker Architects in the acquisition of historic Universal Life Insurance Building in Downtown Memphis. The property was bank-owned and the successful negotiation of this transaction ensures that this historic landmark in the African-American community will live on after redevelopment for years to come.
35,000 square feet- Represented Federal Express in the lease renewal of office space at Memphis International Airport Center (MIAC)
30,000 square feet- represented FedEx Express, the largest operational division of FedEx Corporation, in the lease of industrial space for a “City Station” facility, securing a below-market Total Cost of Occupancy including free rent and tenant improvements, in Austin, TX. This approach allowed FedEx to achieve significant cost savings compared to the comparable market alternatives.
25,000 square feet- Represented FedEx Express, the largest operational division of FedEx Corporation, in the lease of
25,000 SF of Class A office space in Memphis, TN, securing a below-market Total Cost of Occupancy. This approach allowed FedEx to consolidate two user-groups relocating them from its World Headquarters
21,200 square feet – Represented Pepsi Americas in the disposition of free-standing distribution facility in Greenville, MS
15,000 square feet- Represented Federal Express in the lease of office space for package testing facility at Forest Hill Technology Park
15,000 square feet- Represented Tri-State Neurology in the acquisition of an office building for relocating its medical facilities
15,000 square feet- represented Memphis Area Legal Services in the relocation of its headquarters to the Falls Building in Downtown Memphis.
12,000 square feet/10.7 acres- Represented Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Memphis in the acquisition of facilities for a new Hickory Hill club for area youth
10,000 square feet – Represented ACH Food Companies in the
expansion and relocation of its oil products division to office space at Century Center Business Park
8,500 square feet- Represented Diversified Trust Company in office expansion (3,000 sf +/-) at Crescent Center
8,000 square feet- Represented Crosstown Arts in the lease of retail storefront space for nonprofit programs for community development
7,000 square feet- Represented Inter-Tel Technologies in the establishment of its Memphis branch office at Southwind Village
6,259 square feet- Represented SSM Ventures in the relocation of its offices to The Crescent Center
5,463 square feet – Represented SSM Ventures in the lease renewal of office space at Audubon Woods Office Park
5,442 square feet – Represented Diversified Trust Co. in the lease renewal of office space at the Crescent Center
5,000 square feet- Represented Baker Donelson Bearman Caldwell & Berkowitz in the sublease of office space establishing its east Memphis office at 6000 Poplar Ave
5,000 square feet – Represented Barge, Waggoner, Sumner, & Cannon in the lease renewal of office space at the Forum I Building
5,000 square feet- Represented Staff Line in the lease renewal of its primary recruitment location in Memphis, TN.
5,000 square feet – Represented Memphis Chemical & Janitorial Supply Co. in the lease of industrial warehouse space at Nonconnah Corporate Center
7,500 square feet (1 acre) – Represented Laurelwood Pediatrics in the search and acquisition of an east Memphis site to construct its new state of the art pediatric treatment facility
4,000 square feet- Represented Apex Primary Healthcare in the lease renewal of medical practice space at Appling Way Center in
3,400 square feet – Represented St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital in the disposition of surplus real estate (free-standing retail building) in the downtown Memphis area
4,000 square feet- Represented Ewing Moving Service in the disposition of warehouse/storage facility located in downtown Memphis
4,000 square feet- Represented Thomas Consultants in the lease of flex office/warehouse space at Airport Business Park
2,500 square feet- Represented the Carter Malone Group in the acquisition of office building in Midtown Memphis
2,000 square feet- Represented Powers-Hill Design in the lease of office space at Brinkley Plaza in Downtown Memphis
- Represented one of the largest medical practices in the Memphis region, Mid-South Gastroenterology Group in the expansion of its East Memphis practice. Negotiated with an adjacent property owner the acquisition of office property for the expansion of the medical practice, doubling the size of its East Memphis office. From negotiation, through due-diligence/inspection, to closing, managed the entire process, allowing for staff to plan for its functional expansion and adding services to better serve its growing patient base.
- Real Estate Advisory Services for the following charter schools- Veritas College Preparatory School, Freedom Preparatory Academy, Memphis Academy of Health Sciences, Power Center Academy, Gestalt Community Schools, Memphis College Preparatory Academy, Soulsville Charter School
UC President honored with inaugural 100 Champion Award